Monday, April 5, 2010

Can I See Some I.D.?

So aPPARently, some of you have tired of viewing the lovely picture accompanying my last posting. Sure, it’s slightly jarring and more or less repugnant, but hey, you gotta give it to the girl on creativity, and after all, confidence is key. Allow me to go running wildly down this rabbit trail for a moment (I mean, it is Easter after all). Confidence. The very idea of this word strikes a powerful cord in society, both today and perhaps for as far back as women …well…have had mirrors. I mean, all the celebs have it… well, according to their Vogue interviews. How many times have you read some rendition of a Cameron or Kate saying, “I’m just in a really good place right now. I’m just happy with life. I’ve finally found how to truly love myself…” Blah. Blah. Blah. And what do the rest of us think? “Wow, I don’t feel that way. Why don't I feel like that?”



What is confidence and why is it such a powerful tool? Well I’m no Webster, but in my opinion (my supreme opinion… this being my blog and all) confidence derives its power from its inability to be assumed by all despite no lack of availability and by its all-encompassing effects despite its fleeting and often self-perceived presence. While you’re probably finding this tangent to be contradictory and confusing, what I’m basically trying to say is, “Why, as ladies, do we desire the confidence of our peers… friends…Hollywood glamorites, when ultimately, this notion is non-qualitative, here today and gone tomorrow?” Well… sometimes. I believe there is one shining exception.

I remember when I was at the frightening age of 12 or 13 my mom would often say to me, as I left for the evening, “Remember who you are and who you belong to.” Rolling my eyes, I would mutter an, “okaaaay,” and continue on my way out, trying to give little to no thought to my mom’s words. Still, despite my best efforts to drown these words in my incessant gossip and chatter with friends, I could often hear them echo during my teenage years. Who did I belong to? I knew the meaning of my mother’s words. Sure, she wanted me to spare the family name by not getting caught smoking in my best friend‘s bathroom (whoops), but ultimately, an allegiance to any earthly relationship was not the “belonging” to which she referred. Instead, she desired for me to know that I was a daughter of the King, the treasured possession of He who died for my sins. My identity, my confidence was to be then and forever founded in knowing that I , Katelyn Claire Ruckart, belonged to Christ.

This Easter, I am once again reminded of the complete confidence I am offered by my identity in Christ. For someone like me who loves to be different, to be slightly unique with my own thoughts and opinions, I am so relieved to repeatedly see my futile attempts at “individuality” be trumped by the realization that true peace comes only when I give up the act and rest in who He has made me, in His perfect will. Gah… you’d really think I wouldn’t have to learn this same lesson over and over. If only I could’ve really gotten it during those teenage years. Who knows, maybe I’ll get it in time to have a teenage daughter of my own? Oh, I hope that‘s the case.

SO, I challenge any of you. As you start to get a little uneasy reading about all those celebs who “have finally found out how to love themselves or let love in,” remember, and remind me as well, that a significant display of unfounded pride and confidence undoubtedly precedes a dramatic display of being, for lack of a better term, “knocked down to size.” After all, Vienna, we give you and Jake 6 months tops.

I truly hope each of you ( all 6 of my readers) have had an incredible Easter weekend, reminded of who you are only in response to what He’s done. I was so blessed to spend a long weekend at the lake with the entire fam and even make all the rounds with my future family-in-law as well. A little sunburn and a stretched belly. Yep. Guess you could consider it a successful weekend. Happy Easter!

No comments: