Monday, April 19, 2010

Some Sleepy Perspective

Have you ever noticed, growing older in years, how the “little things” seem to just simply fall away? Well, I hope so. And I truly mean that. In hindsight, I would love to go back and give myself a chill pill for every afternoon I spent scouring Birmingham’s Brookwood mall for the perfect cocktail dress with Daddy’s credit card in hand. Or perhaps just a slap on the face for every hour I’ve spent flipping through some random’s facebook photos. (we’ve all been there) Yep, hindsight is 20/20. But what about now? How can I purpose to prevent myself from wasting more time, you know, sweating the small stuff?

How about a little perspective? I know I need just about as much as I can get. Sure, somedays, it’s easy to wake up and fix myself a nice big helping of perspective, accomplished only by spending some time with my Bible and writing down my thoughts. Oh how I wish I would have the discipline to commence each new day in this way. Other days, however, I sleep in, both literally and figuratively (if you’re following this analogy at all.) On those days, it might be noon, dinnertime even before I recognize that familiar feeling of “empty,” realizing I’ve wasted an entire day, making mountains out of molehills.

Today was a day like perhaps none other. I got my dose of perspective so early it seemed even the sun was choosing to sleep in. When my mom woke me up around 5 to tell me my sister and brother-in-law were on their way to the hospital, I felt myself swallow the pill of perspective, sticking in my throat all the way down. After fully emerging from my state of shock, however, I resorted to my security blanket of sorts…prayer. The power of knowing others were doing the same and knowing there was nothing more I could do, was relieving, and soon, I was at peace. Sure, I continued to sit by my phone in anticipation of the next text or call, and admittedly, I offered God a few, “really? What the heck is this about-s?” But by noon, I had what we all so badly need, a little perspective.

I know many of you have been prayerfully lifting my sister and her baby boy up to the Lord for weeks now, and I cannot thank you enough for the encouragement our entire family has received. Right now, Rachel and baby are doing well, resting in the Centennial Women’s Hospital. Please continue to intercede, however, as she will be staying in the unit until the baby is born. In the meantime, we plan to make her new high-rise condo the most happenin place in downtown. If you’ve obtained any box sets of TV shows, we will rent. And if you like board games, bring it. For the rest of you, pray. And if you’ve never considered yourself a praying person, try it…seriously… you don’t know what you’re missing out on.

In other news, and because this picture makes me happy and because I think postings without pics are boring, I'd like to add that I have the best fiance ever. Not only did he sit in the hospital all day, but he managed to entertain and cut some tension with his uniquely-chad wit and charm. I mean, look at this face. Don't you just want to eat it up? No?! But I KNOW you're jealous of those hats. It's cool, can't blame ya. Good night everyone.

6 comments:

Brittany Fuson said...

ohhhh girl, we've got some board games circa 1980. Which ones do you want? You need to get her Netflix for sure. And tell me, where/when/what are these hats that Chad found?

Em said...

I want to get her some stuff! We dont have the best board games unless she just LOVES Apple to apples :)but i could get her some stuff to read or look at and maybe she woudl want some of our lost episodes! or does she already watch it? let me know!

Allison said...

thanks for the updates! prayers all around! i will look for some good stuff for rachel!

katelynclaire said...

thanks guys. currently, we are looking for any and all LOST seasons. or really any other tv show. I personally plan to introduce all 6 seasons of felicity. love it. other than that, snacks are good. i'll eat em if she wont :) love you all.

Rachel Wiles said...

Thanks everyone! I so appreciate your sweet offers and prayers! I ditto Katelyn's comments. I'm also open to Gilmore Girls if anyone has it because I got a little addicted at home and we don't get that channel here. :)

Aubrey said...

RACHEL I AM PRAYING FOR YOU!!!! I HAVE FULL HOUSE?! :) HAHA