Sunday, May 2, 2010

Let's Go Play!

Less than 2 months away from the big day, I’m glad to annouce that the hubby-to-be and I have NOT lost the lovin' feeling. Sure, after almost 5 years together, we no longer feel the need to plan “dates” every evening; after a while, you just assume the pleasure of each other’s company and are excited even about grilling out on the “porch” for the third night in a row. Yep. Togetherness is enough. And eventually, you find yourselves as comfortable together as you once were alone. I guess that’s love. In fact, I know it is.

Lately, however, perhaps in response to the warming temperatures and commencement of cut-offs season, Chad and I have been enjoying many evenings of outside fun. (Obviously, not in reference to the last 48 hours of torrential downpours) You see, as luck would have it, I truly believe I’ve found in my future hubby, the perfect combination of maturity when necessary, balanced by an I-don’t-want-to-grow-up attitude, which we share. While many of you out there (ahem, CiCi) might object to the declaration of necessary maturity, I was convinced this past Friday, more than ever, that I’ve truly found my soul mate. Yep. He’s a keeper. How do we keep it fresh? Good, solid, red-neck fun. Allow me to include a short vignette to explain.

Standing in the rear of Murfreesboro’s finest establishment GO U.S.A, two evening ago, I anxiously scoured the crowd of families and tattooed teens, looking for my date. In the much-anticipated heat of this Friday night, I cautiously returned my attention to Sophie, my neurotic puppy, every few minutes, as she growled and leapt after every shiny golf ball hit from the driving range. “Where the heck is he?” I thought to myself as I reached for the calming security of my blackberry. Finally, after my bbms refused to turn from “D” to “R,” I’d had enough. Failing to heed the warnings on the door, I scooped up my excited pup and entered the inside arcade. My stare quickly identified an over-sized child at the basketball machine, greatly resembling my fiancé. Surrounded by a group of 8-10-yr-olds, who were captivated by his “skills,” I soon realized this “big kid” was my fiance, in heaven. There he was, fun personified. Looking closer, I saw sweat beads pouring from his head beneath his crooked sunglasses, and what was that all over his mouth?! Blue slushie?! Yes, he was in heaven. Walking towards him, I felt like one big buzz kill, and soon, made uncomfortable by my presence, his band of gawking fans began to disseminate.

Turning around to look for his missing ball boys, my boy smiled a smile I never tire to see. Suddenly, it was clear to me, he didn't want to grow up, and just like many times before, I felt myself falling a little more in love. Over our years of dating and growing in a deeper relationship with one another, Chad and I have had some of our best moments remembering how to simply play. Whether fishing on Mill Creek, going on sea doo adventures, playing tennis or by simply riding around in the rain just for fun, I am always reassured during these times; we must be doing something right. So what did I do with my blue-faced, 10-yr-old celebrity? Well, we marched right back up to the counter and purchased $5 more of tokens... best $5 we’ve ever spent.


After an hour or so of skee ball and other games, I, too, was returned to a competitive, juvenile oh-my-gosh-that-bratty-kid-has- more-tickets-than-me state of mind. Finally satisfied after amassing a considerable amount of yellow tickets, we returned to the counter to pick our prizes. Judging from the pictures below, I am confident in our selections. What a fun night. What a fun boy. I think he was the best decision I've ever made :)




Why not take a break before putt putt and down some cheese muffins from Jim-N-Nicks?. Those things shoud be illgeal. yum yum yum

2 comments:

Allison said...

omg, just laughed outloud at the bottom picture! ha!

linda said...

Ya'll are so adorable! Perfect fit!!!!!!!!!!